2012-04-12

GoYen Curry & So On, Iwamizawa

by Andy(U.K.)

Before I came to Japan, I had never heard of soup curry. Now that I’ve lived here in Hokkaido for a while, it has become one of my favourite dishes.


At the Waya Festival last month, Go Yen restaurant had a food tent which looked to be incredibly popular. People were waiting in line for more than 45 minutes for a curry, so it must have been good! I wanted to try the restaurant for myself to see what all the fuss was about.

Go Yen has recently moved to a new location in Iwamizawa, (7jo, west 10. Opposite 7-11) into a small first floor restaurant, with only 2 tables and a bench, but with lots of character.


I had the recommended chicken and vegetable soup curry (900 yen), which was excellent. The chicken seemed to be deep fried which gave it a delicious flavour. The vegetables were tasty, although not as plentiful as in certain other soup curries I’ve had. I love a hot curry, so I opted to go up to a 50 on the spice level. My soup had a real kick to it, without overpowering the taste of the curry, perfect.

I’d certainly recommend Go Yen to anyone. They also have another restaurant in Sapporo which I’ll try sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment