2013-06-04

Jogging around the port of Hakodate City 2 !

by Chis.

I do not like to  remember the staff who scratch his body and continue to make ramen noodle soup in Ajisai Ramen Resaurant but I hope I am not too meticulous in the world hygiene. Otherwise, I have to eat only what my hubby or I made.


There are some sculptures around Hakodate Bay area. Sometimes I took them as the real human beings in the darkness of the night. The title of the work is "the beginning of the future" and it was made by Mr. Toshiro MINETA. It seems that a gentleman stands on a boat but I am not sure the actual intent of the artist.  

Is this a sailor man and the helm ?
The title is "longing for the overseas" in Japanese and "With Great Hopes" is the English title. This is a boy who wanted to be one of the clues of the ships and go around the world in the era when the black ships came to Japan.


This is old British Consulate and now used as "Opening -Port Memorial Hall.
The British Consulate was established in Hakodate in 1859 when the port of Hakodate was opened as the first Japanese port opened to trade. This was the third consulate in Hakodate following the American and the Russian consulates.
The first consul Mr. Hordison established it in the Shomyo Temple.
In 1863, a new building was constructed to serve as the consulate at the present site in Motomachi. on the west side of the Russian Orthodox Church.
However, it caught fire several times. Construction of the present building, designed by the Shanghai Construction bureau, Department of the Engineering of the British Government was completed in 1913. It was used as a consulate until the consulate was closed in 1934. In August, 1992, the building was renovated to include a main hall, an    
exhibition room with information about the history of the port of opening and a restaurant and a tea room  in which people can enjoy the meals and a variety of teas in the atmosphere of old foreign consulate and the entire building was opened to the public.
Motomachi area has many historic buildings maintained so well and beautiful. Crawling up the steep slope to reach this park is not so hard as the wonderful scenery from and to the park tickles and entertains and my eyesight.
If my hubby was assigned to this city, I might accompany with him to enjoy the culinary delights made of the fresh seafood sourced locally.
Balls were given in this building many times after the opening of the Port Hakodate. The ladies and gentlemen came to here with black ties by carriage and four?
Climbing the slope might be a tough job for horses but I am not sure if the horses were used or not.
The whole port Hakodate and the bay can be seen from this hill and many couples visit this area in the night. It may be a good place for the gentlemen in Hakodate City to sit on their  knee as the chapels are near here.
These trees also have seen the history of Hakodate City and the citizens. So many knots are on the surface of the bark and that make the shape of the trees so curious. I will come here again and again with my hubby till death do us part ;)

1 comment:

  1. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and take a look at again right here frequently.
    I am reasonably sure I'll be told lots of new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the next!

    Feel free to visit my blog: more

    ReplyDelete